What a week. I failed in so many ways. Too many to mention and by far too embarrassed to name a few. What I can say is that I do not deal well with failure.
I don’t like making mistakes and I dislike failing more than anything else in this world. I am not sure what your opinion is on making mistakes and if you are, like me, ‘crazy’ hard on yourself when it happens. John Maxwell writes about failing forward and encourages us to learn from our mistakes. I need to remind myself that I am allowed to fail. Failing does not define me, failing creates feedback.
When a reporter asked Edison, “How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?” Edison replied, “I didn’t fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps.” “Great success is built on failure, frustration, even catastrophe.”
Here is a few thoughts and statements that might help you grow in grace for yourself:
1. It is okay if you fail- Yes, it is. We are only human. Angels have wings, you don’t.
2. Fail forward- It is a step, even if it take a thousand of them.
3. Failure is feedback – Now you know what does not work. Lesson learned.
4. Failing keeps you humble- Humbleness is actually a good thing.
5. Even though I fail everyday it does not mean I am a FAILURE.
Mistakes are evident. Failing is only temporary. So fail forward!